14 November 2012

More Cuts and Some Growth

During my fortifying year as an under-gardener at Brooke Hall in Northamptonshire I treasured my rare moments in the potting shed. I was only invited over there if the weather was really foul. I would quickly rummage around the ancient equipment before being turfed out again. These scissors hung on the wall, only ever examined by me. They were so well designed: perfect for snipping the thousands of chrysanthemums required by her ladyship on winter days gone by. The handles were roomy enough for even the biggest, gruffest head gardener to get his fingers through, with gloves on.
The old scissors were not sharp and sadly, chrysanthemums were no longer required. But a new wave of gardeners, whether head- or under-, appreciate showy flowers, briefly considered to be so gauche. Glads, dahlias, chrysanths will all gladly submit to a quick sharp snip with these scissors from Ancient Industries. The smaller ones are good for twine and the subtle flowers which we know we are allowed to like.

5 comments:

  1. I inherited a pair of these from my grandmother, and have them hung on the side of my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pleasure to hear from you Katherine. Have been a bit distracted for the last six months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I inherited these from an aunt, she made waistcoats for Terry Thomas the 1960's comedian, so I guess this pair was used for fine needlework, I shall use them in the garden, ideal for small dead-heading.
    So please to know at last the history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting. I use mine for sewing too and for cutting my daughter's fringe.

    ReplyDelete